Loss of sexual desire (Loss of libido)
Sexual desire is among the most basic instincts for all living creatures, having the urge to enjoy sexual intercourse is god’s and nature’s way to encourage all creatures to reproduce, and human beings are no exception to this rule, therefore, once reached adolescence and due to physical and physiological changes; males and females alike will start wondering about possibilities and start exploring. While some might rush into action, others would like to take it slow.
During early years of sexual activity, it’s well known that individual desires are the highest, although it might not be on the same level for everyone, however, the majority of studies have reported puberty to be the peak among other periods of growing up or late adult life when it comes to sexual appetite.
Sexual desire usually starts to decline at the age 40 due to physiological decrease in male hormone levels. Some men will still maintain sexual desire by the age of 70-80. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to everyone. If you’re a young to mid-age man and you feel that you are experiencing loss of libido (LoL) then you might want to continue reading.
How to know if you were suffering from loss of libido?
Almost all the time, change in sexual drive isn’t sudden and it doesn’t happen overnight. Hence, you will usually note a difference when you compare your current sexual desire to that of the previous year.
If you suspect yourself to suffer from LoL you might note that:
- The idea of engaging in intercourse doesn’t excite you anymore.
- You don’t initiate sexual activity.
- Having intercourse with your spouse / partner becomes less and less frequent, maybe once every two months.
- Attraction to the partner is diminished.
- You feel pressured to participate and sometimes you might even make up a reason to avoid it.
- Sex becomes more of a boring same routine every time with no foreplay and it doesn’t last usually.
- Sometimes you might have an urge for intimacy, however you find yourself losing that interest as soon as you start.
Many when they start to sense their sexual appetite isn’t as usual, they might resort to consult and compare themselves to their close friends, use traditional remedies that claim to solve the issue or even grab over the shelf medications. However, the fact is, there’s no normal level of libido or in other words your normal level of sexual desire might be abnormal when compared to that of your friend and vice versa.
Causes for early loss of sexual desire?
Causes for reduced sexual appetite can be either due to Physiological, Psychological, Medical and Health related issues and bad habits.
As mentioned earlier, libido isn’t the same for everyone and for unknown reasons, rate at which loss of sex drive varies as well. Most importantly, with aging; hormone levels differ from one another and thus it will reflect on the sexual appetite. in addition many medical conditions will start to manifest with aging and that diminished physical will later become a factor that affects sex desire eventually.
As mentioned above, medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, heart disease prostate hypertrophy (enlargement) and thyroid related conditions which may happen at any age and increase incidence in mid aged – elderly persons have a major effect on sexual health.
In addition many of the medications that are needed to manage these conditions may add to the issue leading to reduced libido.
Some males may suffer from a medical condition that lead to reduced production of testosterone hormone “Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome” individual suffering from this syndrome will have a group of signs and symptoms among which is reduced of sex drive.
On the other hand, it’s well documented the relationship between human growth hormone (HGH) and libido level. HGH level fluctuates depending on many factors including decline in general health, increase in stress level and progression of age. All of which are found to reduce HGH which in turn affects person’s sleep, organs’ function, metabolism and thus a person suffering from low HGH will eventually be stuck in a vicious circle that will only lead to regression in one’s health with sex desire being among the factors being affected, not to mention patient’s looks such as complexion, hair thinning and low energy levels will affect his self-esteem that can add to the issue.
- Individuals with relationship issues might complain of LoL. In addition, financial issues, questionable loyalty, dissatisfaction with the partner, unattractiveness can add to the problem and make it worse.
- Impression or inability to satisfy the partner eventually affects an individual’s self-esteem and gradually with time it will lead to reduce then refrain from sexual activities.
- Some psychological issues such as depression and especially those how are on anti-depressants might suffer from low sex drive among other issues that affect different aspects of their lives.
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) and premature ejaculation (PE) which will also affect self-esteem can subconsciously reduce the sexual desire whether it happened consciously or subconsciously. Nevertheless, some medications used in these conditions might have also affect libido as part of their undesired side effect
This include a wide range of situations such as:
- heavy smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Frequent watching of pornography and excessive masturbation.
- sedentary lifestyle and reduced physical activity or even too much of exercise.
- Overeating and obesity.
- Late night sleep and exhaustion.
Course of Action
Due to the wide range of causative agents that may lead to affecting a person’s sexual health, It’s always important to get down to the root of the issue. Thus avoid self medicating or advice from non-professional or non-medical personals. Also avoid so-called traditional and not researched remedies. Meet your trusted medical doctor and get diagnosed, most of the cases will be resolved with correct management of the underlying medical issue and / or change of medications taken for these conditions.